Hornsby Shire Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If a comment wasn't made on a particluar question, then there is no blue answer.)
- Are permits required? A garage sale is not able to be authorised as retail outlets are prohibited in residential areas.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? The posting of signs is illegal and can be dangerous especially if it distracts driver's attention. The signs may be removed and fines may be issued by Council's Traffic Rangers.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? Generally a one off event would have little impact and would be tolerated by nearby residents. If a sale happened regularly or was ongoing Council would be more likely to receive complaints which they may need to act on.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Use of Council's footpath is not permitted and could cause obstruction to pedestrians.
- Other comments offered. If a complaint were received about a 'garage sale' Council would consider that complaint on its merits and determine if any action was required. If further information is required, please contact Council's Customer Service staff on 98476760 or speak to the duty Town Planner.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.