Greater Dandenong has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If a comment wasn't made on a particluar question, then there is no blue answer.)
- Are permits required? No permit is required to hold a garage sale on your own property.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Signage can be displayed outside the property on the day of the sale only. Signage may be placed in the surrounding neighbourhood on the day prior to the sale, but must be removed by the day after the sale.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? Limited to five sales per year. For any more than five sales per year, a second hand trader licence may be required.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Goods cannot be placed on the footpath.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.