Hobsons Bay City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? You do not need a permit for a garage sale.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Any advertising you put up needs to be secure and not blow away and hence cause littering. Please note that any advertising you stick to power poles etc must be removed by Sunday evening.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There is not a set limit on garage sales a property can hold, however if a property was holding a garage sale every weekend then council would become involved as this would be classed as running a business .
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Sale items need to be kept within your property, not on the foopath or naturestrip.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.