Canterbury City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required?
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? You are not permitted to place signage on council property.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There are no set number of garage sales a person can have in a year, but if they are using a garage sale as a business, then council will investigate for an unauthorised business.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? All goods must be wholly contained on your private property.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.