The City of Darebin has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Permits are not required to hold a garage sale on your private property.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? it is illegal to place bill posters up on any council property including power poles. The fine for this is $200.00 per poster. It would be best to see if your neighbours (on the corner of your street) would allow you to place a sign on their fence for the day.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? No.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? You cannot place any items on the nature strip at anytime regardless of the situation or circumstance.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.