The City of Sydney has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? No. But garage sales are only permitted to be held totally on private property.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Poster Pillars are the only location where people can legally put up promotional material, including advertising for garage sales. Substantial fines can apply to those placing posters on poles, hoardings or fences. (See below for more on this)
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year?
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? The City does not permit garage sales to be held on the footpath, naturestrip, driveway or laneway.
- Other comments offered. You can find poster pillars at:
- Darlinghurst - Oxford Street, near Liverpool Street
Darlinghurst - Oxford Street, near Taylor Square
South Erskineville - Erskinville Road, near Prospect Street
Glebe - Bay Street, near Grose Street
Glebe - Glebe Point Road, outside Glebe Primary School
Haymarket - Thomas Street, near Hay Street
Kings Cross - William Street, near Brougham Street
Kings Cross - Bayswater Road at Darlinghurst Road
Moore Park - Anzac Parade, near Cleveland Street.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales? There is a web page detailing the Council supported annual community garage sale event, Second Hand Saturday. It is held at Quarry Green, Ultimo to promote waste reduction and community spirit. Check the council's web site. It is organised by the Harris Community Centre 02 9552 1140. Last one was in September.
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.