Logan City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? A garage sale comes under "Home Business" and a permit is not required to hold a garage sale provided ( a) it is limited to the sale of a goods only in the form of a garage sale (legal speak for no commercial quantities of items being sold - just household and personal items) and (b) it is conducted by a resident of the dwelling unit within the boundaries of the dwelling unit.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Signs are not allowed in public places.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? Sales are limited to 4 days per calendar year.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Carrying on a business in a public place such as a street or footpath is strictly controlled under Logan City Council's Local Law 12. You would need a permit which is expensive.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws realting to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.