Redland City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Permit is not required.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? The Council’s Local Law No.11 Control of Signs permits only 1 garage sale sign with a maximum area of 0.8m² which can be erected 2 days prior to the garage sale and must be removed not more than 1 day following the garage sale. A garage sale sign can only be placed on the premises where the garage sale is occurring.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? 2 to 3 times per year is okay. Any more than this, especially on a regular basis, could constitute an unlawful use and require planning approval as a shop.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Items cannot be stored or placed on the road reserve area throughout the Garage sale.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales? Currently there is no information in relation to Garage Sales on Councils Web site. This is a great idea and we will follow up on this for the future.
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.