Glen Eira City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Not for the odd private sale.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Signage is not allowed on public property. However, if signs are posted the night before AND removed straight after the sale, there should not be any problem unless a complaint is received.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There is no exact rule, however if a person holds regular sales, planning laws would come into play. Once again, council would also act if a complaint were made.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? All goods sold at a garage sale must remain within the property line. Council is very strict about goods being sold on the street, footpath or other public places. Footpaths must be clear of obstructions at all times.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.