Manly Council NSW has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? No permit is required to hold a garage sale.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? You may post signs as long as they are not intrusive or offensive in any way. They must be removed once the garage sale has finished.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There are no limits to how many garage sales a person can hold per year, as long as it is not a regular event (for example every second weekend).
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? All items must be kept within the property boundary so as to avoid any hazards or obstructions on the footpath.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales? The council's website contains details of waste management programs, the waste collection calendar and the Second Hand Saturday program which is designed to reduce land fill.
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.