Cottesloe Town Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Not for sales held on private property.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Signs of a permanent nature are not allowed. Council do remove signs that pose a threat to public safety and road traffic safety. They are treated as a temporary sign along the lines similar to real estate home open signs.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? No, but if it became a weekly affair it would be considered as commercial activity and will be investigated accordingly.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Yes. The activity is prohibited on a public place and any such activity requires council approval.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.