Melville City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required?
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? Council has sign regulations when placed on the street, but if signs are only out on the day of the sale, unless a complaint is made, they should be okay.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year?
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house?
- Other comments offered. Private garage sales are allowed without too much regulation. Council would become involved if any garage sale activity resulted in complaints being made to council.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.