Sutherland Shire Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? No.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? No, as long as the signs are on private property.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? No, however Council would need to give consideration should the amount of garage sales become such that the person was considered to be trading as a business.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? Yes, the Local Government Act, 1993 provisions may apply if the footpath is obstructed or an encroachment is occurring to the extent that the footpath was blocked etc.
- Other comments offered. Residents are encouraged to contact their Local Council if they need more information.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales? No.
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.