The Hills Shire Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Not for one off or infrequent garage sales.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? The posting of signs is considered littering, so if you are posting signs on every telegraph pole make sure you take them down again or you will be fined for littering.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? If you are having garage sales, say, once a month then it is classed as a home business and there are rules that relate to this activity.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? The footpath should not be used at all for garage sales as it is a hazard to pedestrians.
- Other comments offered.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales? No.
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.